It was fitting that in 2012, the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee year, our much-loved Village Hall reached the same landmark.
The BBC’s Domesday Project records the hall’s origins in the following way:
“The idea of a village hall in Sicklinghall was first thought of by a Mr. Fryer in May 1945. It was not until 1952 that the hall was completed at a cost of £3,500 (£1,500 of which was raised by the villagers through jumble-sales, £1,000 was donated by Mr. G.R. Foster and £1,000 was received from the Ministry of Education). It was officially opened in 1953.”
Ida Greaves’ marvellous story of Sicklinghall, ‘The Nook of Sicil’s People’, gives more detail about J.G. (Johnnie) Fryer, the Committee and the villagers, and their many years of fundraising from the end of World War II to completion of the building in 1952 and its official opening a year later.